22 Weeks Pregnant: Symptoms and What to Expect
Your Growing Fetus at 22 Weeks
Cue Taylor Swift’s song because we know you’re feeling 22 weeks pregnant that is. Your baby is now 11” and weighs about 15.7 ounces. Your little bean is now the size of a Standard Mac Keyboard minus the number pad.
Here’s what your fetus is up to this week
- Their lips and eyelids are becoming more prominent.
- Your baby’s head and eyebrows are growing more hair
- The limbs are getting stronger.
- Soon your baby will begin to hold his face and umbilical cord.
Pregnancy Superfood for Week 22
The superfood for this week is (drum roll please)! Chia Seeds!
Don’t let their small size fool you. They are full of nutritional value. Fiber, protein, various micronutrients and omega 3 fatty acids are all found in these tiny seeds. The omega 3 fatty acids play a big role in the development of your baby’s brain.
Consuming omega 3’s will decrease the possibility of your baby having allergies and eczema. The protein will aid in the growth of organs, muscles, and tissues in both of your bodies. Constipation is a common pregnancy symptom.
The fiber from chia seeds will help keep you regulated. Chia seeds have three times more iron than spinach. You need iron for the development of the extra blood cells, which carry oxygen to your baby and body.
The iron found in chia seeds will also provide you with an extra boost of energy. There are a variety of ways to eat Chia seeds. Pop them into your mouth, smoothie, or even yogurt. Here are a couple of recipes that also use chia seeds.
If you’re craving something salty give these Parmesan and Chia Chips a try.
Parmesan and Chia Chips:
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan
How to Prepare:
- Begin by preheating the oven 180.
- In a bowl combine the parmesan and chia seeds.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Grab a round cookie cutter, place it on the baking sheet and sprinkle your mixture inside the cookie cutter.
- Continue to do this until you have filled the sheet.
- Bake the Chia Chips for 5 minutes.
- The cheese will melt and the chips will have a nice golden crisp. If you’re feeling fancy feel free to add some black pepper or herbs.
If you’re craving something sweet go for this Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Chia Pudding. It is free of gluten, dairy, and refined sugar. It only takes about 5 minutes to prepare but will need to sit in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk (unsweetened)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2-4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons organic powdered peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- a pinch of sea salt
How to Prepare:
- Throw all of the ingredients in a blender. We recommend putting the almond milk in first. Start on low speed and slowly increase the speed to high until you get a smooth mixture.
- Give it a taste. Feel free to add more syrup if you would like it sweeter.
- Pour the mixture into glass jars and store the pudding for at least 3 hours.
- Once chilled, If you’re feeling like Martha Stewart or the next master chef top it with whipped cream, and a drizzle of melted chocolate and peanut butter.
Top Tip for Week Twenty Two
Keep an eye on your body. If you notice sudden swelling of the face or hands you could be experiencing preeclampsia. Upper abdominal pain is also a sign of preeclampsia.
Inspirational Message of the Week from Already Moms
“ Being pregnant finally helped me understand what my true relationship was with my body- meaning that it wasn’t put on this earth to look good in a swimsuit”- Amy Adams
Big Efforts from your Co-Creator
This week we’re giving your lady the task of finding a stroller. Seeing as how this is her baby she may want to try to give it the chariot of strollers. You may be more logical and will consider the budget, needs, wants etc. Be patient with her. Don’t be aggressive if she picks a stroller that is not exactly suitable for your family. Calmly express your concerns.
This Art of Allowing
As your baby bump grows you probably have grown anxious about driving in the car. Here are a few ways you can calm that anxiety and make the car ride more safe for your baby.
- Always wear your seatbelt and be sure to wear it correctly.
- The lap part of the belt should lay under your bump. It should be below your belly and across your hips and pelvic bone.
- The shoulder part of the belt should lie between your breasts.
- Make sure it is away from your neck.
- Don’t turn off your airbag! Move your seat back and maintain at least a 10-inch distance between your chest and steering wheel.
- Get a pedal extender installed if need because your baby will be safer at this distance.
- Don’t let the fear of driving keep you off the road, girl boss!
Pregnancy Symptoms of Week Twenty Two
“It’s miserable and magical” wait, maybe Taylor Swift’s song 22 is about pregnancy. Here are some of the symptoms that may have you feeling miserable this week.
Outtie: If you always had an innie for a belly button that may change now. The expansion of your belly may cause your innie to pop out into an innie. Don’t worry, it will go back after delivery.
Increased Vaginal Discharge: The increased blood flow in your lady parts are causing you to produce more discharge. Don’t worry it’s normal!
Backaches: You’re carrying a lot of weight inside you. Your back is aching due to the extra pressure from your coconut.
Stretch Marks: As you and your baby grow, your skin expands to accommodate the baby thus producing stretch marks. They may appear on your stomach, breasts, and legs. You’re still a beautiful goddess and don’t even begin to think otherwise! Many of them will fade after delivery.
Hair growth: Thanks to your raging hormones your hair is growing rapidly, everywhere! As if shaving our legs wasn’t already annoying!
Shortness of Breath: Your baby is crowding your lungs, thus making it hard to catch your breath at times.
Your Body will Change and It’s Necessary
Weight gain is becoming more prominent. Please remember that is necessary for you to gain weight during your pregnancy. It is not a good time for a cleight-loss diet as your baby may end up missing out on vital nutrients. If you are eating healthy, most of the weight you are gaining will be lost when you give birth.
Our Recommended Remedy for Week 22
As your moving along in your pregnancy journey, we thought it was a good time for some pregnancy life hacks to make your journey a little easier.
Grab your pants and replace the pockets with stretchable fabric, this will prevent you from having to spend tons of money on maternity clothes.
Throw your bra in the fridge, you’ll enjoy the cooling feeling when you’re spending a lot of time in the summer heat.
Running your wrists under cold water or keeping a spray bottle around will also give you a quick cool down. Rub organic coconut oil between your thighs to prevent chafing. If you’re going to the pool cut a hole in the middle of a floatie so you can lay on your stomach in the water.
Our Best Advice to Soothe The Uncomfortable
Carrying around the extra weight can leave you feeling sore and tired. Stretching can help relieve that uncomfortable feeling and help you relax. Here are a few exercises to open your hips. If you experience pain during these exercises stop and talk to your doctor.
Butterfly: Sit on the ground and bring the soles of your feet together. Your knees should point out on each side. Slightly lean forward and hold. Take big deep breaths. If you want a deeper stretch press down on your thighs.
Garland Pose Squats: This exercise will open up your pelvis while strengthening your things. Stand with your feet facing forward and shoulder width apart. Slowly bend your knees and lower your body. Extend your arms in front of you to better your balance. Breathe and slowly rise back up.
Seated Straddle: Sit on the floor and have your legs in the shape of a V. They should be extended out wide with your feet flexed. Walk your hands out in front of you if you are able. Hold this position for a few seconds and then slowly walk your hands back.
Preparation for Motherhood
- Choose a stroller
- It’s a good idea to have a gestational diabetes lab appointment sometimes during your 24-28 week of pregnancy.
- Make the appointment this week.
- Pick out a photographer for your maternity shoot if you’re having one.
Week-by-Week Pregnancy Guides