Learning to play the drums is one of the best forms of exercises especially for kids. It involves the coordinated movements of both the arms and the legs which, when combined with the head-banging action of drumming to the rhythm, can really provide for a fantastic workout. That’s why, while some would recommend learning the piano or even the guitar, some would recommend learning playing with kids drums to help them get in the groove. With these 9 best drum sets for kids in 2018, we bet your kid will develop not only his physical skills but also other aspects of his or her being.
Our Top 3 Picks
- Mendini by Cecilio 13 Inch 3-Piece
- Perfect for Preschoolers
- Remo RH-5600-00
- Fun, Colorful Design
- Mendini by Cecilio 16 inch 5-Piece
- Best Option for Beginners
How We Chose the Best Drum Sets for Kids in Our List
Since the drums that we had in mind for this endeavor is primarily intended for kids, we had to focus on the developmental appropriateness of these kids drums. That’s why if you have noticed we have an entire range of youth drum set packages for toddlers all the way to tweens. It would be grossly unjust if we only focused on professional sets as younger kids will still not have the physical capabilities to use these larger musical instruments. That being said, we had to make sure the product closely matches the developmental skills of the age group of children it is intended for.
The individual features of the products were also evaluated. Unfortunately, we had to base these on the actual first-hand experiences of consumers especially those who have kids who are already using these items. It was imperative for us to check whether these musical instruments really did serve their purpose in real life. We looked for sturdiness, durability, and the overall safe construction of the set. This is particularly important for very young children as they are more prone to accidents. Design and manufacturing integrity were thus, important considerations which we correlated with the drum-maker’s reputation. If it can be demonstrated that the company has a well-established reputation, then we’d consider including their product in our shortlist.
Benefits of Playing the Drums by Kids
Everyone knows that playing music can provide a host of benefits than merely listening to our favorite tunes. While not everyone can play musical instruments, one of the easiest and most enjoyable musical instruments to learn to play is drums. In fact, serious drummers say drumming can have many health benefits. And when these are translated into the growth and development as well as health development of children, learning to play drums can be very beneficial, indeed. Here’s why.
- Drumming is essentially for everyone. It doesn’t really require an innate musical talent. You only need to be able to carry on a beat and you should be fine. Best of all, it actually transcends everything as every single culture in this world has some form of tradition that involves drumming. This can help kids in their overall development.
- Drumming is known to reduce stress as a form of diversion activity for the mind to focus on. Likewise, it has been shown that drumming can facilitate the improved secretion of natural endorphins making us happier and more content about ourselves. When kids feel happy, they are also able to accomplish many other things including their academic and extra-curricular activities.
- Drumming can promote a deeper sense of self-awareness. While kids may not realize it, every beat that they make actually synchronizes their brain activities. This leads to more active alpha waves which can help provide for a more relaxed state. This can be very helpful among kids who live in stressful environments.
- Drumming can be a great tool for kids to enhance their visual motor coordination as well as spatial skills. Beating the drums require an understanding of rhythms and patterns. This is translated into the coordinated movements of the hands and feet with inputs from the other senses.
The Bottom Line
Drumming is not just for rock stars and boy bands. It is definitely for everyone. While we don’t expect your kid to be a master of the drums and cymbals, we can guarantee you they will fall in love with our 9 best drum sets for kids in 2018. At the same time, you’ll be glad you gave them such instruments to develop their creativity. You can find more great products like this in our musical toys category.